from the Montana State Librarian, Jennie Stapp
The Montana State Library is committed to strengthening libraries and information services for all Montanans through leadership, advocacy, and service. We value:
- An educated and inquisitive citizenry;
- Library services that are responsive to users’ needs;
- Free government information that is easily accessible and widely distributed;
- Equitable access to all library resources and services;
- Patron privacy;
- Economic development of Montana for Montanans;
- The responsible stewardship of public funds;
- Open, direct, and timely communication;
- Competent and professional staff.
The outstanding staff and partners of the State Library strive to meet this mission every day. Through consulting services, education, and creative collaboration, we strengthen and support the role of all Montana libraries so they are better positioned to be their communities’ choice for discovery and exchange of information and ideas. By collecting, enhancing, and preserving information created by our government, such as publications produced by state agencies and geospatial and natural resource information, we ensure that all Montana citizens have ready access to information that shapes our lives on a daily basis. We meet the information needs of Montana government employees. We ensure that Montanans who are blind or physically handicapped are provided access to library services. Our dedication to strengthening libraries and information services for all strengthens community life for all Montanans.
When you have an information need, think first of your local library. Like the Montana State Library, Montana libraries are here to serve. Visit your local library and the Montana State Library in person or online. You’ll find that we bring the world of information and imagination to all people in our communities.
Welcome to the Montana State Library!